The (highly ironic) Death of Vegeta

 

 

Bulma awoke to a thundering crash from downstairs. Jarred awake, she instinctively turned to Vegeta, meaning to make him investigate the noise. She was sure no burglar sneaky enough to actually get into the building would be so careless as to make that kind of noise, which left the distinct possibility it was one of Vegeta's old enemies. As she turned to him, she was surprised to find only a slightly warm dent where he had lain, likely only minutes before.

"Well, that answers that," she thought irritably. "He probably tried to sneak downstairs for a midnight snack. Well if he thinks I'm going to let him eat that roast for tomorrow night's dinner, he's got another thing coming." Wrapping a robe tightly around herself, Bulma headed to the kitchen intent on giving Vegeta a piece of her mind.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs, she screamed.

 

* * *

 

Trunks bolted from his bedroom, hastily pulling on a pair of sweatpants as he did. Bra had just stepped out of her own room as he passed, sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"Niichan," she mumbled, "what's going on?"

"I'll find out, just stay here," Trunks replied, running down the hall. He didn't know what was out there, but whatever it was had to be something pretty bad to make his mother scream like that.

"No, I'm coming with you!" Bra insisted, stamping her foot for emphasis. Trunks sighed, he didn't want to put his little sister in danger, but she would most likely follow him no matter what he did. Besides, he didn't have to time to argue.

"Fine, but stay behind me," he said with an air of finality. He turned and headed down the hall once more, Bra in close pursuit. As they rounded the corner by the staircase Trunks stopped dead, his face paling. Behind him, he heard Bra give a little choked gasp.

"Bra, go back to your room," Trunks said in a tight whisper.

"B-but Daddy, he's…"

"Now!" he yelled, not taking his eyes off the grisly scene.

After another moment, Trunks heard the patter of Bra's slippers as she headed back down the hall. "Kaasan?" he asked, looking for some kind of explanation. She had been draped over Vegeta's body, sobbing silently. The Prince himself lay at the bottom of the stairs, his neck twisted a full 180 degrees around, the bone sticking out the side from underneath the skin. His eyes were glazed over, staring unblinking at the ceiling. Bulma took a shuddering breath, raising a tear-streaked face to her son.

"He's always been a chronic sleepwalker. H-he must have tripped down the stairs," she said, choking off sobs. "He would have been too relaxed. He just… didn't wake up in time."

 

The End