Diamond In the Rough



Chichi never knew what it was that woke her up that night. Maybe a tree had been scratching against the window, or an owl had hooted on its midnight rounds. All she knew was that when she reached for her husband, he wasn't there.

"N-nani?" she said, waking up more fully. "Where could he be?"

Just then she spotted the dim light from the living room, and heard the faint sounds of something rustling. Putting on her slippers and grabbing a lamp for a weapon, she slowly inched towards the room. Her heart was beating so rapidly she was sure it would give her away.

With a yell Chichi jumped into the room and brought the lamp down on the head of the intruder... which just happened to be her husband. He was wearing a smoking jacket, and he had on a pair of glasses. He had just pulled a collection of Shakespeare's greatest works off the bookshelf.

"Chichi, my dear, we must be quiet or Gohan might awaken."

"H-hai," she started, then did a double take. "Did you just say, 'my dear'?!"

"Why yes, dear wife, I believe I did." Goku sat down in an oversized armchair and opened the book.

"And you're reading! I don't think I've ever seen you read. Are you sure you're feeling all right?" Chichi put a hand to his forehead to check for a fever.

"It looks like you've discovered my little secret. You see, Chichi, I am much more intelligent than anyone gives me credit for."

Chichi was confused. "B-but why the charade? Why not let everyone know you're so smart?"

"It gives me such a wonderful advantage over my enemies, don't you know. They expect a dunce, and then I outwit them in almost every aspect. It's great fun, really." Goku grinned.

Chichi merely lifted an eyebrow. She wasn't sure she liked this new ego Goku had. "But what about Bulma. Isn't she smarter than you?"

"Well, yes and no. She has more of the technical know-how, while I possess the brain to compute the facts with little thought." Goku seemed to pause for a moment, as if deciding to tell Chichi something. "She is, in fact, the only other person in the universe who is aware of this side of me."

"But why her?" asked Chichi. "I'm your wife, shouldn't I have known?"

Goku grinned sheepishly. "I really had meant to tell you, but things just got in the way. I had to tell Bulma to get her to let me help create some of her inventions."

Chichi had a sudden thought. "Are all Saiya-jin like this? Does Vegeta have a bookworm side as well?"

"I can assure you, dear, that the Prince is exactly what he appears to be, and nothing more. Now, would you like to read with me this night, sweet princess?"

Chichi giggled girlishly. Maybe she could get used to this side of Goku after all. She laid her head on her husband's shoulder, reading The Tragedy of King Lear until she felt her eyelids getting droopy. The last thing she remembered was Goku turning the page, looking down at her, and giving her a soft kiss on the forehead.


The next morning Chichi awoke with Goku already getting dressed, even though the sun hadn't quite come up yet.

"So," she said, "what happened to King Lear?"

"N-nani? What are you talking about, Chichi?" Goku said, looking confused.

"Don't you remember last night?" she asked.

"I remember going to bed, then waking up... but I can't think of anything else. I'm sorry Chichi, but I've got to go train now." Goku walked out the bedroom door.

Chichi just sat in bed for awhile, a confused expression on her face. Had the events of the previous night just been a dream? She sighed. She knew it had been too good to be true. There was no way possible a scholar lurked under her husband's slow-witted exterior.

Accepting the facts she reached over to turn on the lamp and give her a little more light... only to find it missing.

END