Chapter 4

 

"And that's what I know about it all." Gohan sipped his coffee and leaned back, his bit of the tale completed. They were seated in the living room at Capsule Corp. except for Kira, of course. She was upstairs asleep.

When they had flown in she had been taken immediately to the medical facilities where the doctors proclaimed her over exhausted. She had then been put to bed and Gohan had been whisked downstairs to tell his story.

Bulma tapped the side of her chin with her finger. "So if what you're saying is correct, then the girl.. Kira you said here name was? Well anyway she's now truly a half- blood Saiya-jin."

"That's right," Gohan nodded.

"And from what I know about the recuperative powers of Saiya-jins, she should be waking up..."

"About 10 minutes ago. It took me awhile to find you."

Everyone turned to look at the girl, and it was Trunks who first spoke.

"Have a seat."

"Thanks," said Kira, and plopped herself down on the floor. "You obviously have a lot of questions for me, I mean Gohan didn't see everything, in fact he only saw the tip of the iceberg, but I think most of them should be cleared up if I just tell my part of the story. It starts just a few months after the experiment...."


It had been months since Kira had last seen Gohan, or "That half Saiya-jin boy," as her father referred to him. The experiment had been a complete success, and she was growing stronger by the day. While preparing for his experiment Dr. Diox had made a video library of the Z soldiers learning and using new (and old) attacks, and these Kira watched with fervor. She was very talented, and learned very quickly, sometimes learning a move after seeing it just once, but it was flying that gave her the most pleasure.

It had frightened her at first, being several hundred feet up, with nothing between you and the ground but air, but that feeling had lasted all of 10 seconds. After that there was nothing she liked better.

The only thing wrong with her life was her lack of freedom. Thanks to the electronic collar that had been placed around her neck when she first started to show signs of power, she couldn't go more than 20 feet away from the laboratory, no matter what planet they were on. If she did a searing pain started at her neck, and soon enveloped her whole body until she was writhing in agony. She knew from experience.

Dr. Diox tried the experiment several more times, but each time the person receiving the treatment died after only a few minutes. He was furious. How could a little girl hold up against it while everyone else just up and died? After every attempt he would sit in his room and fume, until he thought of something else that might have effected it and he tried again. Eventually he gave up trying to get a perfect transfusion, so he developed a technique that would require hardly any pain, and all he needed was a cell sample, not the whole being.

There was one downside to that, though, it only produced mindless slaves, powerful, but unable to think on their own. Further developments were made, and the slaves were able to do some thinking, but he knew he'd never be able to produce exactly what he wanted, so he decided that these were good enough. At this time Kira was 17.

She had long-ago discovered what it was about her that had let her survive, but she wasn't about to tell her father, for she had also long-ago decided that he was either evil or insane, and she strongly doubted that he was insane.

It was on a sunny morning that she was called into her father's inner office, the twin suns of the planet they were on glowed warm and bright, and it came as quite a shock. She hadn't been called into the inner office for years, and the last time she was it was to tell her about the collar... after she had already learned by trial and error. She walked in, rather timidly.

"Sit down. I have some things I need to discuss with you."

"Yes, Tousan?"

"First of all, stop calling me that."

"Na-nani?"

"I am your father no longer, in fact I never was. To me you were always just an experiment waiting to happen, and after it did you were my prize, my possession."

"But, but, what about all that you've taught me?"

"That was in the hope you could teach others that I could make from you, but those didn't work out, unfortunately. I never figured out why you survived, but I now know that you are the exception, not the rule, therefore I've changed my plan slightly to deal with it."

"What plan? What are you talking about?" Kira was getting a little peeved by this time.

"Why, my dear, I thought you knew. You were to be the first in my army to conquer Earth, and when we had it under control we would move on to more, but now I'll have to find a different planet."

"Why?"

"Earthlings are too weak to really become powerful, so I'll have to find another planet to make my soldiers."

"Where?"

"I've found a nice one, the people there have very high power levels, but they never use them, they are so peace-loving that it will be easy to gain control, and in a few years I'll have enough soldiers loyal only to me that I'll destroy it, and return to Earth."

"NO!" Kira powered up, farther than she had ever before, "I won't let you!"

Her father's mocking laughter hit her ears. "And just what are you going to do? You're still wearing the collar. Go ahead, try and kill me."

Kira really did try. She raised her hands to blow the man's head to dust, but her body wouldn't let her fire the energy-ball. This just made her more mad.

"What did you do to me!" she yelled.

"I've already told you, girl, it's the collar. When I made it I made sure it had a feature the prevented you from harming me."

Kira wasn't angry anymore, she was beyond anger, beyond fury. She looked at her father. His eyes glittered with silent mocking laughter. She felt her hair stand, and suddenly she felt her power-level skyrocket as a yellow aura surrounded her. The collar was incinerated in the power-up.

"Perfect," said Dr. Diox, then he pushed a hidden button and Kira knew no more.


"My conscious mind came awake what could have been days, weeks, or even months later. I found myself in a containment pod, and although it was completely dark, I could tell I was back on Earth. My body was locked in that form and position, so I did the only thing I could... I slept. The next time I woke up was when they found me."

Bulma spoke up. "You mentioned that you had figured out what it was about you that had let you survive. What was it?"

In reply Kira bit down on her hand until she drew blood.

"What are you doing!" yelled Trunks.

Again Kira didn't speak, she just held out her hand for everyone to see.

And see they did. Right before their eyes the wound closed, scabbed up, and fell away. The bruises caused by her blunt teeth dulled, yellowed, and disappeared. Not two minutes after she had inflicted the wound her hand was completely healed. There wasn't even a scar where the skin had broken.

Even Vegeta was speechless.

Kira broke the awed silence by shrugging. "I'm a genetic mutant," she said. "My body heals quickly, and I can heal others' minds. That's how I was able to make Gohan remember, even though he had been given the drug that made him forget.

"Before the experiment my gifts weren't as strong. An injury like that would have taken at least two days to heal, but that's compared to the seven that it takes normal human beings. It wasn't much, but it was enough to allow me to survive."

"So it was a side-effect of the experiment that made your abilities increase in power." Gohan said, then yawned hugely

. "Oh," said Bulma, "I hadn't realized how late it was! Why don't you all stay here tonight, and we'll talk more in the morning."

The idea was accepted with stifled yawns and a few sleepy blinks. Everyone was shown to a room for the night.

"Videl," Gohan said, suddenly remembering something, "where's Pan?"

"Don't worry," she replied, "I brought her up here before we went back to wait for you and Kira to wake up."

"Back?" asked Gohan. "What happened while I was out?"

"I'll explain everything to you, but let's get some sleep first."



Back to chapter 3
On to chapter 5

Click here to send me e-mail