Chapter 5

Dr. Diox laughed to himself as he reached for the controls. Finally, after years of experiments he had enough soldiers. He had improved his power-enhancing method enough so they could think a little better, but not much.

He sighed as he pushed the button that would blow up the latest planet. It had been a shame he hadn't been able to produce enough soldiers from the first one, or the next 11. A lot of traveling time had been wasted, and he never liked to waste things. Still, the products had been worth the trip, and now he that he had plenty he could return and claim dominance of Earth.

As the laboratory flew towards that self-same planet Dr. Diox made a last few adjustments to his latest collar. "There, that should do it. As soon as I get it on, her will shall be mine."

His laughter could be heard throughout the entire lab and the large facility that it dragged along, filled with soldiers ready and willing to do their master's bidding.


Trunks lay back in his bed with both hands tucked behind his head.

"So what do you think of her," he said, looking at the ceiling.

"I dunno," replied Goten from his spot on the floor.

Turning on his side, Trunks looked at his friend strangely. "What do you mean you don't know?"

"Like I said, I just don't know. She's cute and all, but, well, after hearing her story I just don't think of her like that."

"So what do you think of her like?" prodded Trunks.

"It's... well... she's just..." Goten sighed. "She just seems like a sister to me I guess."

"Well in that case," Trunks said through the darkness, "you definitely have one hot sister."


The next morning belated introductions were made during breakfast and Kira got to ask her questions about what had happened during her ten-year nap. Then the training began.

She was taken to the gravity room by Trunks, Goten, and Vegeta, and shown how to work the controls. They then paired off to spar. Kira and Vegeta went first.

Powering up to Super Saiya-jin took no effort, owing to the fact that she been in that form for ten years straight. Vegeta did the same, and she waited for him to attack.

He did so with blinding speed, but Kira was ready for him. From watching the videos her father had made to teach her she had not only learned techniques, but each fighter's personal style. She danced aside and grabbed his arm, using Vegeta's own momentum against him as she swung him towards a wall, then fired a powerful Ki blast to follow.

Vegeta pushed off from the wall, and came after the girl, glad to know that he would not have to hold back.


Goten and Trunks waited patiently outside, stretching and warming up. The door opened and Kira stepped out, her wounds healing.

"K-Kira," Goten stammered, "Y-you won?"

Kira dropped to her knees, breathing heavily. "Not quite," she said.

Vegeta walked out. He stopped momentarily by Kira.

"Good fight," he said.

Trunks stared at his father's back as he walked away, his jaw slack. Never in his life had he heard him admit to another that they had out up a good fight.

"I don't know about you," Goten said, "but I'm now feeling rather reluctant to match up against her."


Kira had a home. She had been overwhelmed and amazed when Chichi had insisted they take her in. Never had another being been nice to her of their own free will, never. She didn't start thinking clearly again until she lay in her bed with the sounds of her new family drifting in through the door.


Kira looked around her. The ground was littered with bodies, none of which she recognized.

She flew from place to place, calling out name as she went, looking for anyone she knew. Everywhere she looked her eyes met more bodies. Some just lay there as if the person had laid down and decided to die. Others had been torn limb from limb, their bodies still oozing blood. Still, there was no one she knew among them.

Onward she flew, searching for any sign of life, anyone she knew. At the steps of a large palatial building she saw movement.

Vegeta lay there, his body twisted into unnatural shapes, his eyes dimming in death. He coughed up a puddle of blood and managed to get out a last sentence.

"Everyone...else.......inside........."

His eyes closed, his muscles relaxed, and he was still.

Kira opened the huge double-doors and walked inside. All around her the bodies of her friends lay in various tortured positions. She looked up just in time to see her father break the last major bone in Trunks' body, then light him on fire. His shattered jaw wouldn't even let him open his mouth to scream.

She could only stare in horror.

Dr. Diox looked up at her and grinned wickedly.

"There you are, girl," he said. "It's nice to know who your friends are so I can dispatch them before I take care of you."

He took a step forward.


Kira woke up in a cold sweat. Her mind was a whirlwind. She couldn't stay, couldn't let her father hurt her friends and her new-found family. Finally she calmed down and got a grip on reality once more. The sun was just rising over the hills as she fell asleep again.



Back to Chapter 4
On to Chapter 6

Click here to send me email.