Chapter 8

The warriors were gathered at the place this adventure had all started, the clearing (or crater now) where Kira had been discovered. Some phone calls had brought Yamicha, Kulilin, #18, Tenshinhan, Chou-zu, and Gohan there, and they all expected Piccolo to show up when the fighting started. Trunks hadn't arrived yet, but he'd get the message as soon as he returned home. Now all that was left was to wait.

"I sure wish there was some way to let Goku know about this," said Kulilin.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. He'd sure be a help during the fight." replied Yamicha.

"What? How could you possi..." Kira was cut off by a cheerful voice from the shadows.

"Konban wa! Kaio-sama told me there was going to be a battle, and filled me in on what's been happening here, so when's the fun going to start?"

"Tousan!" cried Goten and Gohan at the same time.

"Goku?! But how.. what.. why..... aren't you supposed to be dead?" exclaimed Kira.

"Oh he was," replied Kulilin, "twice in fact."

"_TWICE?!?!_"

Goten smacked his forehead. "I am such a baka! Of course you don't know about the Dragon Balls, how could you?"

"Dragon Balls?" asked Kira.

Goten sighed. "It's a long story, but it looks like we have time, so I'll start from the beginning... the _very_ beginning.

"Many years ago a pretty teenage girl was looking for these things called 'Dragon Balls.' In her search she came across a small boy with wild hair who called himself 'Goku'..."


Trunks awoke to find he couldn't move. "No," he though, "it's more like I _could_ move, but my body refuses to obey."

"So, the enigma awakes," said a voice to his left, which he identified as being male.

Trunks attempted to turn his head and see who was talking, but he found he could do neither. He gave a purely mental start as he realized he wasn't breathing either.

"I see you've realized all you can do is think," said the voice. "My, what wonderful things brain waves are." It seemed to come to him through a vast space of... nothing. "And especially yours. You see, I desire from you one precious thing, knowledge. You have something that I want, and I'm going to take it from you. Oh, and you _will_ give it to me; you don't have a choice."


Many extra benefits had come from Dr. Diox's travels through out the universe, besides the obvious soldiers. For one, he had gained a lot of free time to develop other things, such as the gel-like substance that now held Trunks in suspended animation. Also, many of the planets he had gone to held even better prizes. The machine he was about to use was one of them.

Its purpose had been to freely share learning among a community, thus bettering the whole, but that had made Dr. Diox sick, so he took it, forcefully. Now he used it for interrogation. It was designed to copy information from one person's mind to another's. The only drawback was the knowledge could only be obtained through direct questions. Luckily, he knew just what he wanted.


Trunks vaguely heard the question asked, but he couldn't fathom the purpose.

"Why is he interrogating me when he knows I can't possibly respond? How could he get the answer?" He thought. Then he just.. knew. Nothing had told him, but somehow he knew. It was a machine, and it copied information mind-to-mind.

And it apparently worked both ways.

"Who are you?" he asked mentally.

Dr. Ribo Diox

"Kira's father?"

No

This startled Trunks. "Do you know Kira?"

Yes

"How long?"

Since she was two

After many more questions Trunks managed to piece together the story. Apparently Dr. Diox decided one day that he'd take on a protege. He raided an orphanage and took all the children there. After some intense tests he settled on Kira, who was the most intelligent of the group. The rest he used as experiments.

"The man's a monster, worse than Buu even." Just then he heard another person come into the room.

 


Dr. Diox turned to the guard who had entered, well pleased with the results of his questioning.

"Yes?" he said.

"Doctor, the scouts found them."

"Good," he replied, "I'll have a nice surprise waiting for them when I get there."



Back to Chpater 7
On to Chapter 9

Okay, so this one's short, too, but I'm working on the rest! Anyway, click here to send me email.