Chapter 9

 

Kira peered over the horizon, searching for any sign of movement. Seeing nothing she returned to ground level.

"See anything yet?" asked Yamicha

She shook her head. "Nothing. I don't know what's going on, he should have found us by now, even with the equipment he had ten years ago."

"Yeah, " said Goten "and Trunks should be here by now, too. Something weird is definitely going on."

"I almost wish he would get here already so we can get this waiting over with," said Kulilin

Suddenly a voice boomed from above. "At the risk of sounding cliché, be careful what you wish for." As the voice spoke a large building landed on the edges of the crater where the heroes waited. A door opened, and a stream of light issued forth with the silhouette of a man in the middle.

"Kira, my darling daughter, you've given me quite a chase," the silhouette said. Kira simply glared at him.

"Come now, there's no need for that. I've brought playmates for you and your little friends." All at once the walls themselves opened, revealing the thousands of warriors that had been behind them. Dr. Diox brought down his arm, pointing to the Z warriors. The army rushed at them, charging mindlessly, blindly obeying their master's command. All who could immediately went Super Saiya-jin, while everyone else quickly dropped anything that could possibly impede their fighting ability. Then the horde was upon them.

"Now play nice," said the doctor with an evil laugh.


Kira fought tooth and nail, trying to keep from drowning in the rising tide of fighters. She had been at the front of the line of heroes, and was getting the worst of the battle. Occasionally she would go under, only to force herself to the surface with a burst of energy. On one such occasion she happened to look over at her father. She nearly did a double take as she noticed another silhouette standing behind and slightly to the left of him.

"What the..." she thought, but was caught in the swell again. Once more she managed to break free and get a look at Dr. Diox and the mysterious shadow. She gasped as she recognized the person behind him.

Fighting with renewed fury she kicked, punched, and blasted her way clear of the press of warriors, eventually landing by her father.

"It's about time you made it," he said.


Tenshinhan, Yamicha, and Chou-zu all fought back-to-back, helping and supporting each other, sometimes on the ground, sometimes in the air.

"I don't know how long we can keep this up," Chou-zu said.

Yamicha panted. "I don't, either. It seems like for every one we destroy ten more jump into its place."

"We have to keep going, though," Tenshinhan said. "The fate of the world depends on this battle." He blasted yet another fighter just before it reached the trio.

"Yeah," Yamicha grinned tiredly, "this and just about every other battle we've fought in the last 30 years. I'm getting too old for this, I tell you."

"I'm starting to envy Goku and Vegeta with that Saiya-jin blood of theirs. It keeps them in their prime for decades."


"DIE!" Vegeta screamed in primal fury. It felt good to be fighting a real enemy once more, but he was getting frustrated as well. There were just so many of these creatures, they literally turned the ground black. The only clear spaces happened when some of the weaker Z warriors landed to try and fight on the ground.

"Feh, idiots," Vegeta thought, looking at Tenshinhan, Yamucha, and Chou-zu. 'They're safer in the air. These creatures can't fly for long at all." As soon as he finished the thought, another wave of fighters poured out of the lab, this time in the air, not landing even once.

"It figures," he thought. Suddenly, he spotted Gohan and, to his surprise, Piccolo. "I wonder when he got here..."


Gohan and Piccolo fought side-by-side, teacher and pupil, father and surrogate son. Their movements were all but synchronized as they continuously blasted away Dr. Diox's creations. Just as Gohan was starting to almost relax and get into a pattern he was hit from behind and slammed to the ground. He could feel the creature ripping into the flesh on his back, then suddenly it was gone. Immediately he was back in the air. Piccolo just floated there, his hand smoking.

"Don't get so cocky next time," was all he said.

Gohan nodded, and they went back to fighting.


Goku watched his eldest son get slammed to the ground. Just as he was about to go to the rescue he noticed that Piccolo had already beat him to it. Seeing that all was well again he happily went back to fighting. He knew the fate of the world lay in the outcome of this battle, but he couldn't help grinning. He hadn't had this much fun for a very long time.

Just then there was a flash of light and energy, and the smell of burning flesh behind him. Goku turned around to find Kulilin and #18 there and the charred remains of one the creatures falling to the ground. Goku grinned even wider.

"Arigatou!" he said.

"No problem," Kulilin replied, then he and his wife went back to fighting. Goku also followed suit, and soon was back in the thick of things, as usual.


Goten fought with a seemingly endless energy, but still only half of his mind was on the battle. Trunks still hadn't showed up, and to Goten it was almost as if half of himself was missing.

"Where could he be?" he asked himself.

Letting fly with one ki blast after another, he was pretty secure in himself. He allowed his mind to wander, only to be caught off guard when they began attacking him from all sides. Using their combined strength the creatures knocked Goten to the ground, causing a mini-crater to form around him. With a blast of his own Goten was up and out, his full mind focused on the battle now. Just once did he glance over to where Dr. Diox was standing, only to receive a shock as he spotted three figures where there should be just one. Two were not standing directly in the light. One he recognized as Kira, the other he guessed was Dr. Diox. The last, however, could only be seen as a shadow.

Try as he might, Goten couldn't make it over there to help with whatever Kira was doing, the press of bodies was too great. He could only hope and trust in her abilities.


"Well, my dear daughter, I see you're not happy with the playmates I've brought you," Dr. Diox said as one would speak to a pet, or a small child.

"Shut up," she said, contempt in her voice.

"Now is that any way to talk to your father? Perhaps I'll have to teach you a lesson. Hmm, now which lesson to teach? Oh yes, how about 'Even your friends aren't safe.' Yes, that's a good one." The doctor snapped his fingers. The shadow that had been standing behind him finally emerged, revealing his lavender hair and Capsule Corp. jacket... and the collar that had been designed to enslave Kira when the doctor finally caught up with her.

Kira looked almost bored. "I knew who it was, father. Now let him go, or I may loose what little patience I have left."

"No... no I don't think I will, daughter," the doctor said with a sneer. "You see, this collar is specially designed to allow the wearer to still be able to use their fighting instinct. Allow me to demonstrate. Trunks... kill."



Back to Chpater 8
On to Chapter 10

Whoo, almost there! By my estimate, I should be done in one or two more chapters. Of course, when those will be up is anyone's guss. Anyway, once more click here to send me email.