Chapter 3

Gohan stared at the Saiya-jin Prince, questions dancing on his lips, but before he could utter even one of them the older man passed out from his injuries. Biting back his frustration, Gohan turned to Videl.

"Let's get them all inside. We always keep a bag of senzu beans here at Capsule Corp. in case of emergencies." Videl nodded, and carried the still-unconscious Trunks in the house. Gohan followed, picking up Vegeta and helping the limping Goten along. Later, after all were fully healed thanks to the magic of the senzu, everyone gathered in the living room to hear the tale.

Vegeta took a deep breath. "You humans have a certain way of speaking about your own psyches. Within everyone there is a 'good' side and an 'evil' side, but only in a figurative sense. For the Saiya-jin, though, it is far, far from figurative. We are born with these two sides actually existing within us as separate beings. Early on they do battle, one gaining dominance in ourselves, but with the other constantly influencing us."

"Huh?" Goten asked intelligently. Vegeta growled.

"Your dad was possessed by his evil self."

"Oh." Goten deflated.

Vegeta sat back on the couch with a thoughtful scowl, his arms folded across his chest. "When I first heard about Kakarotto's bump on the head as a child and his change in behavior afterward, I figured his evil side must have been killed in the accident. After meeting the man my suspicions were only confirmed. Somehow, though, it's come back."

Gohan pondered the situation. "So where does that leave us?" he asked.

"Screwed," Vegeta stated simply.

Bulma spoke up after a moment's thought. "We don't have to worry too much right now. Goku is still hurt from his battle, and he knows he's not strong enough at the moment to break in here and steal the senzu. Not with all of you around," she amended, nodding in the Saiya-jin and half Saiya-jin's directions. A look of pure terror slowly crept up Gohan's face.

"We keep some senzu at home…" he whispered. "'Kaasan!" Not even bothering to see if anyone followed, he shot from the room, heading straight for Mount Paozu. All those who could fly raced out after him. Fear clutched Gohan's heart as his house came into view over the horizon. Smoke was rising from it in places, and he could see the blackened holes in the wall as he drew nearer. Landing quickly, Gohan bounded into the house, calling out for his mother.

"'Kaasan! 'Kaasan, answer me! Where are you!?"

"Gohan!" came a faint reply from outside. He ran out, searching for any sign. Chichi appeared from behind a tree, waving at him. Gohan ran up to her, relief washing over him at the sight.

"Gohan, what's going on?" she asked as they hugged each other. "I came back from getting some groceries, but when I got back the door was broken down and your father was inside, ripping through drawers and cursing. I-I got scared, so I hid in the woods until you got here."

As Videl, Goten, Trunks, and Vegeta got there, Gohan explained the situation to his mother. A few tears ran down the woman's cheek. "And my Goku…?" she asked, almost hopefully.

Vegeta stared at her, no hint of mercy. "We don't know if there's anything left of him up there. I doubt we can take the chance there is." Straightening, quickly wiping away her tears, Chichi nodded. Gohan's face hardened, and he nodded as well. Goten only looked at the ground, his thoughts turned inward.

"Good," Vegeta grunted.

Gohan took a deep breath. "'Tou… Kakarotto mentioned he wanted to play before taking us on. I think he might have been referring to some of the other human warriors. Vegeta-san, you and Videl take 'Kaasan back to Capsule Corp. It's as safe a place as any, and if there's any way we can get 'Tousan back without the dragon balls, Bulma-san will be able to find it. Goten, you go to Yamucha's apartment. Trunks, go to Tenshinhan and Chou-zu's cabin. I'll take Kami's lookout for Piccolo and Dende, and we'll all meet back at Capsule Corp." Nods greeted the young man as he looked at each of the people around him, and the grim assembly set about completing the tasks assigned


Videl, Chichi, and Vegeta made it back to Capsule Corp. without running into any trouble, for which Videl thanked every god she had ever been informed of. Immediately upon their return, Vegeta took up a position in the yard close to the door where he could easily see anyone approaching.

"What's he doing?" Videl asked, glancing at the prince as she and Chichi entered the building.

"Keeping watch," replied the older woman, heading for Bulma's lab. "Gohan didn't say it aloud, I think because he didn't want to upset the boys, but Bulma may be the only one who can bring my Goku back…"

"But Gohan did say that," Videl said confusedly. Chichi continued, ignoring the interruption.

"…and this 'Kakarotto' will know it. He may try and stop it. Now come on, let's see if we can help Bulma."


Goten gently pushed on what was left of the apartment's door, biting down his fear. He hadn't been to Yamucha's apartment very often, but he was certain blasted out windows, broken doors, charred walls, and scattered furniture were not a new interior decorating motif.

"Yamucha-san?" he called out timidly. No answer. The silence was broken only by the wail of approaching sirens.

"Yamucha-san, are you here?" Goten called out again, a little louder. Again, no reply met his question. The boy began to move through the apartment, searching for something, any hope that Yamucha hadn't been at home. Maybe he had a date, maybe he was gone when Kakaro…

Goten entered the bedroom and stood stock still, his breath coming in gasps. Yamucha had had a date. Steam still clung to the bathroom mirror, visible through the slightly open door. The sent of aftershave and cologne wafted from it. There was his shirt laying on the bed, waiting to be put on. And there was Yamucha on the ground, blood pooling under the body coming from the gaping hole in his chest. Puar lay in a corner, charred almost beyond recognition.

The boy stood there for almost five full minutes, willing either of them to move, for their chests to rise with an inhaled breath. Neither did. The piercing whine of the police, fire, and ambulance sirens as they screeched up to the building finally broke through Goten's trance. Biting back tears, he slipped out one of the windows and headed back for Capsule Corp.


Fear gripped Gohan's heart as Kami's lookout came into view. Although he was unaware of it, what he saw was much the same sight Goten had on reaching Yamucha's apartment. Blackened walls stood shakily, barely seeming able to support the attached roofs, if the roof was indeed still attached. Piles of rubble and blackened stumps stood where palm trees once had.
"It really is a tragedy," a voice sounded from behind the young man. Gohan jumped in surprise, twisting around to see the intruder. He nearly collapsed with relief as he recognized the person behind him.

"Piccolo-san!"

"Nice to see you, too," the Nameck replied, surveying the mess.

Gohan tugged urgently on Piccolo's arm, as if he was five years old again and Piccolo was the almighty sensei. "Piccolo-san, we have to get back to Capsule Corp.. 'Tousan…"

"Has been taken over by his evil self and is on a killing spree." Piccolo grinned despite the tense situation at Gohan's shocked expression. "There are certain advantages to living with the god of Earth, you know."

"Then Dende and Mr. Popo…"

"Are alive, well, and hidden. Don't worry."

Gohan nodded. "Then we should be getting back."

The Nameck agreed, and the two took off, heading for the place they hoped would be a safe haven amidst all the chaos they had been plunged into.


Trunks feared the worst as he headed for Tenshinhan and Chou-zu's cabin home. Goten's optimism never had rubbed off on him, much to his mother's chagrin. He was relieved beyond expression to find the cabin still standing, a thin curl of smoke coming up from the fireplace. Quickly, Trunks landed in front of the little house, the wet snow crunching under his boots.
Tenshinhan turned in surprise as the front door crashed open, a smallish figure bursting inside, not even bothering to close it behind him. Chou-zu beat Ten to the recognition.

"Trunks! What are you doing here?" the little dwarf asked, wonderment etched on his face. Trunks rushed over, grabbing each of the warriors by the arm.

"There's no time. We have to get back to Capsule Corp. before…" He was cut off by maniacal laughter from the doorway. The setting sun was behind the form, making it impossible to see who was standing there.

"Like fish in a barrel," the shape said. There was a flash even more blinding than the sun, and then nothing.


Back!
Onward!

trunksette@juno.com