Chapter 4


Goten's worried face looked up at Gohan as he landed in front of the huge Capsule Corp. building, Piccolo not far behind. Vegeta stayed in the shade, his customary scowl stuck on his face.

"Goten, what is it? Where are the others?"

"Videl, Bulma, and 'Kaasan are inside, and… and it was too late for Yamucha," tears shimmered in the other boy's eyes as he talked. "But, Niichan, I don't know where Trunks is. He's not back yet, and he's always been a faster flier than I have, and I can't feel his ki anywhere, and..."

Goten was cut off by a maniacal laugh from above their heads. Peering up at the clear blue sky, they could just barely make out the shape of Kakarotto's body against the sun. Suddenly, something landed with a heavy thud in the yard, and Kakarotto took off.

"Goten, wait here, I'll go and see..." Gohan began.

Ignoring his brother's command, Goten broke away from the cover of the house. He didn't care, he had to see what was there; what the man who was once his father had dropped in the yard.

After what seemed like an eternity--an eternity of chill dread worming its way through his heart--Goten finally made it to the object lying in the grass. He froze, staring at it for only a few moments before turning away. Dropping to his knees, he dedicated his lunch to the cold, hard ground. There behind him was what remained of his best friend and the two he had been sent to bring back to safety.

As Goten emptied his stomach, the other three warriors came up behind him. Piccolo looked on impassively and Gohan turned his head, tears escaping his closed eyes. Vegeta could only stare at his son in horror until the initial shock wore off. Then came the fury. The Saiya-jin Prince snarled, gathering his ki and preparing to fly after the murdering Kakarotto. Just before he took off, he felt a cool hand on his shoulder, preventing his flight.

"Get your green hand off me, Nameck," Vegeta growled, "Or I swear I will…"

"Don't let your anger turn you into an idiot, Vegeta" Piccolo answered, tightening his grip. "Kakarotto is obviously trying to bait you, make you attack without thinking."

Vegeta scowled, the setting sun casting shadows on his face that made him appear even more feral than normal. "And what's your plan, oh mighty one. Just sit around and wait for him to attack us?"

"Wait, yes, but only for the night. In the morning we'll gather the dragon balls and get Goku back. With the sun out it should be harder for Kakarotto to sneak up on us. Until then, I suggest we set up a watch." Vegeta snarled at the suggestion, but stayed put after Piccolo released his shoulder.

"Right, I'll take first watch, then," Piccolo said.

"I'll go second," Gohan responded.

"Feh, fine, I'll be last," Vegeta glowered. Putting on his arrogant air once again, he silently turned around and picked up the body of his son and carried it into the house. Piccolo carried Tenshinhan in, and Gohan took Chou-zu. Goten followed the grim procession, still visibly shaking and casting quick glances at what had been his best friend.


"All right, time's up," Vegeta said, glaring at Gohan.

"Hai, Vegeta," the half Saiya-jin replied, standing up and stretching. "It's been really quiet. Piccolo didn't see anything, and the most danger I've sensed was an owl catching its dinner. Do you think he'll actually attack tonight?" Vegeta grunted in reply and sat down, taking up the watch.

"Guess you're not up for small talk, then," Gohan mumbled, jumping off the roof of the Capsule Corp. building. Vegeta watched him go out of the corner of his eye. Better than anyone else still alive in the universe, Vegeta knew the Saiya-jin psyche. He had no doubt Kakarotto would attack this night; it was only a matter of when.

Sure enough, as the false dawn first began to tinge the horizon, Vegeta felt a presence materialize behind him.

"Kakarotto," he said simply, not even bothering to look at the newcomer.

"My Prince," Kakarotto replied mockingly. "Going to run to your little Nameck nursemaid? Or perhaps you'd like to actually fight me this time."

"Pick a place," Vegeta snarled, turning to glare at the taller man.

Kakarotto grinned fiercely. "Try and keep up," he said, launching himself into the crisp morning air. For a split second Vegeta considered alerting the other warriors, but the sight of Trunks' body flashed across his eyes, and he banished the thought. Clearing his mind of all but the battle ahead, Vegeta propelled himself after Kakarotto's retreating form.


Goten turned over in his bed, trying to block out the power levels emanating from his and Trunks' dads. How was anyone supposed to sleep with those two fighting… all… the… time? He sat bolt upright in bed, memories of the previous day flooding back to him. If Vegeta and his da… Kakarotto were fighting, then…

"Niichan!" he yelled, turning to where his brother should be sleeping, but finding him and Piccolo awake as well. They were all in the same room so they could be contacted more easily in case something did happen.

"That idiot!" Piccolo spat, taking off through the open window in the direction of the two huge power levels. Gohan and Goten followed suit, flying as fast as their ki could carry them towards the battle.

"But why didn't Vegeta-san get us?" Goten asked as they flew, peering at his brother.

Gohan's expression hardened. "Pride, most likely. Baka, there's no way he can win without us!" Goten bit his lip worriedly and kept flying, hoping they would get there in time.

As the trio approached the battle site, they could see the marks of a tremendous fight. Craters pockmarked the ground; trees were uprooted or blasted where they stood; even the ground itself was shifted, great chunks of it sticking up at odd angles. And there, in the middle of the carnage, were the combatants. It was painfully obvious who was winning the fight.

"Well, it looks like the posse has arrived, late as usual," Kakarotto smirked as the others landed, holding up Vegeta by the arm. Patches of cloth and skin were blackened and charred from ki attacks, and blood was running freely from numerous cuts all over his body. The arm dangling at his side was sticking out at an odd angle. Kakarotto looked a little beat up, but still in fighting shape.

"Here, catch," the Saiya-jin ginned evilly, tossing Vegeta at the newly arrived warriors. Goten caught the Prince, fearfully glancing down at his ruined form. Eyes wide, he looked up at Gohan.

"Niichan, he's still alive! Quick, give me the senzu!" Gohan nodded, taking out the small bag he had put in his belt and tossing it to his brother. Quickly taking one out, Goten gently laid Vegeta on the ground and held the bean to his lips.

"Vegeta-san, it's senzu. Please eat it," Goten pleaded, his eyes glistening. Groaning, Vegeta managed to open an eye and raise his head. Excitedly, Goten held the senzu closer, but before the Saiya-jin Prince could even put it in his mouth he coughed up blood and collapsed, all trace of life gone. Shock replacing excitement, Goten stared at him, questing fingers finding a wrist and feeling for a pulse. Gohan took a few shallow breaths before daring to speak.

"Is… is there a heartbeat?" he asked. Goten shook his head, allowing a few tears to escape his eyes. Kakarotto broke into hysterical laughter.

"Oh, the timing on that was so perfect!" he cried mirthfully, wiping a few tears of laughter away from his eyes. "It couldn't have been better if it was scripted."

Gohan snarled at Kakarotto. "You monster!" he spat, launching himself at his enemy.

"Thank you," he replied, placing two fingers to his forehead. "Now, if you'll excuse me…" Before Gohan could reach him, Kakarotto disappeared. Before Piccolo, Gohan, or Goten could even begin to speculate where he had run to, they all felt a large ki blast centered at Capsule Corporation, which, in their haste, they had foolishly left unguarded. With barely a glance at each other, all three shot into the air, back the way they had come.

Being smaller and lighter, Goten outstripped the other two, reaching the Capsule Corp. building well ahead them. At least, what was left of it. A large, slightly smoking hole had replaced most of the roof. Flying around for a closer look, Goten choked back a cry at what he saw. There was a direct path of destruction leading to the lab where Bulma, Videl, and Chichi had been working, and still there in the midst of the wreckage was Kakarotto.

The first two women lay on the floor, blood pooling under their bodies, but as Goten watched, Kakarotto held up his mother. He had obviously been toying with her a little bit; there were bruises even now forming on her face and a few charred areas on her clothes. She struggled feebly as Kakarotto lifted her by her dress collar, seeming to enjoy the sight of her helplessness. Then he looked up at Goten and grinned. The young warrior couldn't seem to make himself move as he watched what had once been his father raise a hand to his mother's heart and fire a ki blast, killing her instantly. Dropping the body, Kakarotto waved to Goten then teleported out, leaving the half-breed unable to follow even if his mind would have allowed him to move.
Piccolo and Gohan arrived then, gasping at the sight that met them. Piccolo's already grim features became even more so, while Gohan turned away from the sight, squeezing his eyes shut and clenching his fist in anger. Goten could only stare in mute horror at what he had witnessed, seemingly unable to grasp what had transpired. Blood pounded in his ears, and his entire world shrank to the rapidly cooling body of his mother on the lab floor.

Goten wasn't nearly as hardened as his brother had been by the same age. He had only seen one real battle in his life, and he had been so young and it was long enough ago that it all seemed like a weird dream. This, however, this was all too real and bloody. Goten's sanity had already been stretched thin by everything he had witnessed in the past 24 hours, and he had gotten little restful sleep the night before. Watching his father murder his mother finally stretched it nearly to the breaking point. Nearly, but not quite. Unfortunately, Piccolo chose that moment to put a calm hand on the boy's shoulder, startling him and proving to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Goten snapped.


Back!
Onward!

trunksette@juno.com